One of the feature that will entice organization who have chose to use Office 365 to support their intranet usage is Site Mailbox for Team.
Read the official note from Microsoft on the description of Site Mailbox – here. So I am going to walk through how I enable “Site Mailbox” on my Office 365 account.
- As a Site Collection Administrator, go to “Site Settings” as shown.
- Under [Site Actions], select [Manage site features]
- Find the feature [Site Mailbox] and click “Activate” to activate the feature for usage.
- Notice that the highlighted portion will appear at the Team Site left navigation area. Click on the “Mailbox” and activate the “Site Mailbox”.
- This message is soothing, at least to my eyes…
- Site Mailbox created successfully! Hurray!
- Usually, I don’t really follow the 30 minutes as shown but still it is shown as “up to”. However, I waited for around 15 minutes and I hit into the “Site Mailbox” again then I am hit with the configuration. Notice that the mailbox name is shown in the URL address – “SMO-TeamSite@miltongoh.com” >> According to Microsoft site, it will create a mailbox according to the Site Collection name.
- Once I hit “Submit Query”, another nice friendly message.
- Tada! Site Mailbox created!
- Trying to do a test from my main mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org), I can search for the mailbox as shown.
- A more detail of the “Site Mailbox”
- You can now send email from the “Site Mailbox” as long as you have the “Contributor” access rights. Accessing the “Site Mailbox” will then open a new tab which is the Outlook Web App (OWA).
Advantage of using Site Mailbox
A very concrete life example of using Site Mailbox is that within a Operation Team that provide Support Services to internal users or external clients can use Site Mailbox as a centralize mailbox within SharePoint so that all the information is being shared across team members.
In the traditional way of using Microsoft Exchange Shared Mailbox, that would require each and every user to add that mailbox into their Microsoft Outlook as one of the Shared Mailbox that somehow tie to the main account (this could be the primary mailbox).
So in order to secure all the information within the organization, the organization can now just issue “Site Mailbox” to the Support staffs so that they can use it for the day-to-day operation usage.
Want to know more?
Read the following articles: