Just before I start my ranting, I find the following article is very useful and interesting by McKinsey. It can be found here.
I was browsing SingTel website and something chanced upon my eyes! Please see below:
If for any reason, you can’t see the image, it reads “$80 OFF with more data“. Feeling happy at first sight because I am really looking at SingTel DataX add-ons plan that is accompanied with one of the Combo plan. An example of the offerings can be found below or the link above.
So from as low as $5.90/month, you will get two times your bundled data that you have associated with the respective Combo plans that you signed up with. With my usage which is on the high side (I uses around 10GB of local data) from the 13.5GB (base 12GB from Combo 12 plan and 0.5GB for each MobileShare line that I signed up for) of data that I have in my bucket. It does make sense that I go for the Data X Infinity which gives me a whopping 50GB (as per advertised, it is “unlimited“) of 4G data on top of the data that I have as part of my Combo plan.
I ring up SingTel Customer Care (via 1688) and have a chat with the Customer Services Officer (CSO) with regards to the plans that I have and the following is what I have gathered.
Conversation with Customer Services Officer (CSO)
- The $80 OFF with more data is for selected customers and it is totally up to the Sales Team to decide who are entitled to it.
- As my contract ends only on Feb 2018, I have to pay a penalty of approximately $178 for the downgrade/early re-contract.
- I have $500 voucher that can be used to offset the purchase of the iPhone 8.
Feeling happy and also sceptical at times with how big organization like Singapore Telecommunications work, so I decided to swing by the main shop at ComCentre to check out more
I have to admit that the sale of iPhone 8 is kind of terrible this time round likely because:
- It is because more and more people are moving to the SIM-only plans which forces them to get phones off the shelf which is directed at Apple Store.
- It is because people are still waiting for the arrival of iPhone X before deciding whether to stick back to iPhone 8 instead.
- Everyone does the purchase online and have the phones delivered to their doorstep instead.
So it was pretty quick till my turn to speak to one of the Sales Executive over the counter. I explained the same as per what I have told over the phone with the CSO and out to my surprise I get responses from them as such:
Conversation with Sales Executive over at ComCentre
- The $80 OFF with more data is for all NEW customers. (SORRY to those being loyal. It doesn’t pay to be loyal!) – We all know this are just marketing strategies, but look, there are 3 other telcos out there for consumer to choose. 🙂
- Based on the monthly subscription of $239.90 and with 4 months left over to the end of the contract, the penalty would be over $900. (I went “WUUTTT” the moment that was broken out from the Sales Executive mouth without double checking through the system).
- After double checking, the fee that I have to bear will be $200.63 (instead of ~$178) due to GST charges.
- I will have to bear another $200 charges before GST due to early renewal or wait till November 2017 where I am 3 months before the expiry of the contract.
So what is the conclusion?
Isn’t SingTel employees using one single system (single source of truth) to manage all customers request? Why do customer get bits and pieces of information from different sources?
Where is the consistency?
No doubt each of us will have to be tied down to a Mobile provider but since SingTel can’t manages such an incident, how do people entrust another 24 months contract with them? I am not siding any other telcos as I have consumed services from StarHub and MobileOne before in the past and I felt that SingTel does have it standards there.
I am not ranting this because I am demanding for an explanation, but all I want is the awareness to organisations who does the same thing as how SingTel is treating the customers, then you are out at not keeping customer and at the same time degrading the value marked by the customers.
Hope things will change for the better and I would stay put with my mobile lines for now or even explore Circles.Life with their contract-less plans.